It’s tomato season!! Take advantage now! One of the easiest side dishes to make for you meal, or even as an appetizer to a party is Bruschetta.
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 peeled and smashed, 1 peeled and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and peppet to taste
- 4 sliced of thick italian bread (I used Tuscan Italian Herbed bread from The Breadsmith located in Lakewood, Ohio.)
- Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Mix tomoatoes, basil, 2 smashed garlic cloves, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and let sit to let the flavors merry!
- Meanwhile, toast thick slices of bread. If unable to fit in your toaster you can toast them in your oven on the Broil setting- make sure you turn so each side gets toasted.
- Once the bread is toasted rub the sliced garlic clove on each side of the bread while still warm.
- Next top the sliced pieces of bread with tomato mixture. (Be sure to take out the garlic cloves!!)
- Topped with fresh parmesan cheese if desired.
You can make more or less of this, depending on how many people you are serving. You can also use a french baguette to have smaller slices, or use italian, tuscan, or your bread of choice!!