Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) is a protein rich grain that is a great substitute for rice and great for vegetarians. It has a nutty flavor with a fluffy and very slightly crunchy texture. Although considered a grain, quinoa is actually related to leafy green vegetables such as swiss chard and spinach. This product is in most grocery stores, sometimes located in the “organic” or “health food” aisle. This is the brand that I have used:
- 2 Cup dried Quinoa- cooked (per package directions)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, cooked (you can use frozen, canned, or cut off the cob!- I grilled corn on cob and cut it off)
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 limes, juiced
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Handful of cilantro
- Salt to taste to taste
- Once Quinoa is finished cooking, fluff with a fork and add black beans to heat for 5-10 minutes with lid on (off heat)
- Place Quinoa and black beans in large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss until well combined
This salad can be used as a side dish at a pot luck/picnic, a side dish for dinner at home, or as a meal!
I had it as my meal with a slice of sliced watermelon and it was very filling!