Yikes!! I need to keep up with this blogging thing! I apologize for the week break!
For Christmas my boyfriend’s parent’s gave me an Imperia pasta machine! After going to Italy, as well as trying some Ohio City Pasta that I have bought from Cleveland’s West Side Market in the past, fresh pasta is the way to go! I’ll admit, I usually grab a box of Barilla when making pasta for dinner, but if you have the time and have a pasta machine, you should definitely try making some homemade pasta! You can always make it in bulk, too, and freeze pasta for another days use!
For the pasta I used the recipe on the back of a Semolina Flour bag:
- 2 1/3 cups of semolina flour
- 2 fresh eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup warm water (plus more if needed)
Sift flour onto clean surface and make a well in the center. Pour in eggs, oil and salt. Mix the ingredients with a fork, slowly and gradually incorporating the flour with the wet mixture. Add warm water until dough is soft enough to handle. Knead dough into a soft, workable ball. Cover needed dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
Next you are going to separate the dough into 3 sections. Start with one and roll out with a rolling pin. You may need some flour so that the dough won’t stick to the surface and rolling pin. Next follow the directions to your pasta maker!!
With the pasta maker I was also give the lovely rack (above). If you are not cooking the pasta right away you can either place it in bundles to be place in the freezer, or, I put a damp kitchen towel over the pasta on the rack to keep from drying out!
I decided to make a roasted pepper and shrimp pasta with a lemon and garlic sauce!
- First I roasted a green, red, and yellow pepper in the oven on broil until the peppers became blistery.
- Next I placed in a bowl and covered with suran wrap until the peppers were cooled (about 30 minutes).
- Next I peeled the skin and sliced!
Here are all of my ingredients I used for the pasta:
- Homemade pasta from above!
- 3 TBSP Olive oil plus 1 TBSP lemon olive oil (if you have it)
- small onion/leek/or scallions- finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lemon Lemon, zested and juiced
- Roasted Peppers from above
- About 20-25 raw large Shrimp
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese (or more to your liking!)
Fill a large pot with water and allow water to come to a boil (for pasta). Put olive oil in large pan and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Next add minced garlic and lemon zest and juice.
Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Be sure to not let the garlic burn! Next add the sliced roasted peppers.
Next put the pasta in the boiling water. Boiling will stop. Once the water comes back to a boil, cook the pasta 4-5 minutes until al dente! While Pasta is cooking put raw shrimp into the pan with peppers and garlic/lemon sauce. Cook shrimp until pink, about 5 minutes.
Add cooked pasta to pepper and shrimp mixture. Add Parm Cheese. Using tongs, mix together.
Last step – Enjoy 🙂